Fungi fd. 1/25/03

e.hutton caterpillar at
Tue Feb 25 04:42:39 EST 2003

Daniel B. Wheeler wrote:

> "e.hutton" <caterpillar at> wrote in message
> news:<ftbr2b.tp4.ln at localhost.localdomain>...
>> Daniel B. Wheeler wrote:
>> > "Jerry C" <ja_cooper at> wrote in message
>> > news:<SQn2a.83138$F63.1701274 at>...
>>  snip...

>> > Thanks for posting Jerry.
>> >
>> > I followed your reply all the way thru until the last word.
>> > Corticioid. Never heard of it. It seems to be a reference to
>> > Cortinarius? If so, that's the first time I've ever heard of a
>> > Cortinarius sps. growing on either Douglas-fir stumps or logs: the
>> > typical location of where I find T. messenterica. I don't believe I've
>> > ever found it growing as a parasite on a Cortinarius mushroom.
>> >
>> > So...I'm guessing this is another word I'm going to have to learn.
>> > Someone feel like enlightening me?
>> >
>> Corticioid will be of the family Corticiacae, which are the resupinate
>> crust-like fungi usually found growing on wood. It is a fairly big
>> family, of absolutely no culinary interest whatsoever.
> Would Stereum sps. be part of the family? I did find a varety of this
> growing near the T. messenterica of one stump, but didn't notice it at
> all locations.
Stereum sps. are in their own family, the Stereacae.
Both the Corticiacae and the Stereacae are in the order Corticiales
in the  sub-class Aphyllophoromycetideae
in the class Homobasidiomycetes
in the subdivision Basidiomycotina
in the division Amastigomycota
in the kingdom Fungi.
This is the latest version I have of the classification. They keep on
changing their minds though :-(
An older book has these two species in the order Aphyllophorales.
As far as I know the order Corticiales contains only these two families,
but the book is not clear on this point.
Edwin Hutton
...Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the
Internet we will ... treat with charity and patience all those souls
whom we encounter. Amen.From <>