Fungi fd. 1/25/03

e.hutton caterpillar at amuscaria.uklinux.net
Tue Feb 25 04:42:39 EST 2003

Daniel B. Wheeler wrote:

> "e.hutton" <caterpillar at amuscaria.uklinux.net> wrote in message
> news:<ftbr2b.tp4.ln at localhost.localdomain>...
>> Daniel B. Wheeler wrote:
>>
>> > "Jerry C" <ja_cooper at hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:<SQn2a.83138$F63.1701274 at news.xtra.co.nz>...
>>  snip...

>> > Thanks for posting Jerry.
>> >
>> > I followed your reply all the way thru until the last word.
>> > Corticioid. Never heard of it. It seems to be a reference to
>> > Cortinarius? If so, that's the first time I've ever heard of a
>> > Cortinarius sps. growing on either Douglas-fir stumps or logs: the
>> > typical location of where I find T. messenterica. I don't believe I've
>> > ever found it growing as a parasite on a Cortinarius mushroom.
>> >
>> > So...I'm guessing this is another word I'm going to have to learn.
>> > Someone feel like enlightening me?
>> >
>> Corticioid will be of the family Corticiacae, which are the resupinate
>> crust-like fungi usually found growing on wood. It is a fairly big
>> family, of absolutely no culinary interest whatsoever.
> Would Stereum sps. be part of the family? I did find a varety of this
> growing near the T. messenterica of one stump, but didn't notice it at
> all locations.

Stereum sps. are in their own family, the Stereacae.
Both the Corticiacae and the Stereacae are in the order Corticiales
in the  sub-class Aphyllophoromycetideae
in the class Homobasidiomycetes
in the subdivision Basidiomycotina
in the division Amastigomycota
in the kingdom Fungi.
This is the latest version I have of the classification. They keep on
changing their minds though :-(
An older book has these two species in the order Aphyllophorales.
As far as I know the order Corticiales contains only these two families,
but the book is not clear on this point.
--
Edwin Hutton
...Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the