Fungi fd. Dec. 28, 2002

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Tue Jan 14 04:46:16 EST 2003

Found the following fungi today:

At home in Portland, Multnomah, OR:
Laccaria purpurea-badia, quite common, some becoming upturned with
recent heavy rainfall.

Northern Clark Co., WA:

Tuber oregonense (previously T. gibbosum var. autumnale)
T. sp., near T. anniae
Hymenogaster parksii
Hymenogaster sps (not parksii)
Martellia sps.
Rhizopogon sps., near R. villosulus
Clitocybe sclerotoidea growing on Helvella lacunosa
Helvella lacunosa
Suillus brevipes
Clavulina cristata
Polyporus varius
Clavaria zollingeri
Lacrimariavelutina
Psathyrella hydrophila
Psathyrella pseudocoronata
Stropharia semiglobata
Inocybe geophylla
Inocybe geophylla var. lilacina
Inocybe sororia
Cortinarius sps
Nolrana sericea
Laccaria laccata
Hrmicena gracilis
Lepista nuda
Lepista irina
Clitocybe nebularius
Lacterius fumosus
Lacterius deliciosus
Gomphidius subroseus
Russula aeruginea

Comment by poster: This is the most outrageous and varied collection
so late in the year I have ever made. While I didn't find any Boletus
at all (at least that were still identifiable) the Suillus were still
large, meaty, and relatively bug-free: something that is quite rare in
this area.

Mushrooms were everywhere! But most were small, rather non-descript,
and of the same general species. With the exception of Lepista nuda,
most were worth noting, but not much worth collecting. Lactarius
fomosus was/is a first for me, I believe. Had I not the gray velvet
cap while stooping to pick another mushroom, it would have escaped my
notice completely. But once seen, it was fairly common in this area,
under full-canopy Douglas-fir about 25 years old.

I suspect most people (including myself) will be unfamiliar with Tuber
oregonensis, previously known as Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale. Dr.
Trappe recently mailed me a letter which included this name change,
which will hopefully clarify a little that the fall-fruiting form
commonly found in Oregon is not exactly the same as Tuber gibbosum
first identified from California in the spring. Perhaps a better
common name for Tuber gibbosum var. gibbosum, now merely Tuber
gibbosum, would be California Gray truffle.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com