Fungi found 1/18/03, Clackamas County, OR

Daniel B. Wheeler dwheeler at ipns.com
Thu Jan 23 07:59:01 EST 2003

Fungi found 1/18/03 at Paul Bishop's, Clackamas County, OR

Found the following fungi today at Paul Bishop's Jone's Creek Tree
Farm. There will be a joint Oregon Mycological Society/Oregon
Mycological Society truffle forage at the site on February 1, 2003,
starting at 10am. The forage is open to the public.

Truffles found on the site will belong to whoever finds them. This may
be one of the few places where amateurs have found as many truffles as
professionals.

The start of today's forage was under a Lodgepole pine in front of Mr.
Bishop's home. I have noticed animal activity there several times, but
have never actually found anything fruiting. Today I found several
sporocarps of a hypogeous Hymenogaster present. It is unlike any other
Hymenogaster I have found, so am reserving tentative identification
until Dr. James Trappe has had a chance to take a look at it. This is
the first Hymenogaster under Lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta) that I
have found, although Dr. Alexander H. Smith identified several under
Lodgepole pine in Idaho.

In addition, I also found:

Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale (Oregon White truffle)
Tuber gibbosum var. gibbosum (Oregon Gray truffle)
Hymenogaster sps (near H. parksii)
Barssia oregonensis
Rhizopogon vinicolor
Rhizopogon sps., not vinicolor
Hymenogaster sps. (under California hazel, another first for me)
Martellia or Gymnomyces sps, near California hazel
Laccaria laccata
Boletus zelleri
Inocybe sororia
Fomitopsis pinicola