information sought regarding toxicity of lactarius xanthogalactus

Mike Maas docmaas-nospam at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 20:58:48 EST 2003

Hello,

I see in Arora that it is best to stay away from the yellow staining
lactarii.  However no mention is made of the toxins and I was unable
to find anything on the web.  Does anyone have specific information on
this topic?

I carelessly swallowed a small piece while tasting it after mistaking
it for a small lactarius deliciosus alba (that's a joke) but had no
ill effects.  I did however wake in the middle of the night with a bit
of a buzz which is just as likely to have been psychoceramic as caused
by the mushroom.

We also ate lactarius deliciosus and lactarius fragilis.  I didn't
find the deliciosus to be particularly gritty. And the fragilis was
interestingly sweet boiled in soupstock in which we were doing a
hotpot soup Chinese style.

I also found this big mushroom today that I haven't gotten a spore
print from. It's the second I've seen and I was unable to get a spore
print from the first one.  Anyone care to identify it for me?  It is
about 10" long by 5-6" wide.   As the pictures show there is only one
stipe. It was growing in dirt/duff among several large (50 yr +)
redwoods.

http://www.pbase.com/image/11440325
http://www.pbase.com/image/11440326
http://www.pbase.com/image/11440328