Have you grown Chicken-of-the-woods?

e.hutton caterpillar at amuscaria.uklinux.net
Fri Jan 31 05:32:56 EST 2003

Sam Jackson wrote:

> Many places sell plugs of Polyporus (Laetiporus) sulphureus,
> also known as Sulfur Shelf.
> 1.  Have you actually gotten it to fruit?  How?
> 2.  Have you eaten it, either grown or harvested from wild?
> How as the taste?
1. I didn't know anyone had tried to grow it.
2. I have eaten it wild. As to taste the name used over here in England,
Chicken of the Woods, gives you a clue. Decidedly chickeny, with sour
overtones - actually a bit like Chicken Tikka. Mus be eaten when young, it
goes first indigestible then woody after a few days.
Edwin Hutton
...Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the
Internet we will ... treat with charity and patience all those souls
whom we encounter. Amen.From <http://www.catholic.org/isidore>