Fungal cells and osmotic stress

Eric Wilk Eric.Wilk at tufts.edu
Tue Jun 3 03:26:22 EST 2003

I was looking for info on this, too; I couldn't find many specifics,
though.  The fungal cells are certainly more resistant than a lot of
other types of cells, i.e. bacteria because of their chitin cell wall,
but I have also read journal articles where the researchers isolated the
hyphal cells with PBS and a .1% Tween-80 buffer, even though it would
seem this is a higher salt concentration than is in their natural
enviornment.  The cells of basidiomycetes (one order of mushroom-bearing
fungi,) however, can live in plain distilled water for a while, and this
is how I have seen most work done (except liquid broth, etc, which has
stuff in it that should balance out the osmotic potential, anyway.)

Cells of the faster growing fungi, i.e. Actinomycetes like Nerurospora,
would be more susceptable to damage caused by osmotic pressure, but I
have no clue as to what extent.

Anybody else have more info?

-- Eric