Orange fungus in window frame?

Irene Andersson ir at ene.nu
Fri Jun 6 03:35:24 EST 2003

On 5 Jun 2003 09:33:53 +0100, Malinda <malinda at alumni.indiana.edu>
wrote:

>Greetings!  I hope someone here can help; I've scoured the web and can't
>find any answers.
>
>This morning I discovered a small, bright orange, wavy looking fungus in
>the bottom of a wooden window frame

Do they look something like this?
http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/Serpula/dacrymyces3.htm

What is shown there is fresh fruitbodies of the most common one on old
windows, Dacrymyces stillatus. When they get older, they become
flattened, a bit wavy, and more red. What you have, may be another,
closely related fungus. The way to fight against it is the same,
anyway.

When you find them, the wood is already rotten, so you need to replace
the wood, and protect it from getting wet and infected.
Ask in the paint shop what you need, and how to do it. They should
know about this fungus too.

>Judging by pictures I've found on the web, it seems like it *might* be
>orange peel fungus, but I can't find any reference to orange peel fungus
>growing on wood -- only soil.

Orange peel, Aleuria aurantia, is a rather big cup fungus, usually a
couple of inches broad. Your window fungus wasn´t that big, was it?

Irene Andersson