Orange fungus in window frame?

e.hutton caterpillar at
Fri Jun 6 03:35:28 EST 2003

Malinda wrote:

> Greetings!  I hope someone here can help; I've scoured the web and can't
> find any answers.
> This morning I discovered a small, bright orange, wavy looking fungus in
> the bottom of a wooden window frame (between the screen and the glass).
> Judging by pictures I've found on the web, it seems like it *might* be
> orange peel fungus, but I can't find any reference to orange peel fungus
> growing on wood -- only soil.  Might it be something else?  Do we need to
> be concerned with doing anything other than replacing the wood?
> My SO also found more of it behind a rotting fascia board above our
> garage door (same side of house -- east -- if that matters).  We live in
> Indiana and the weather here has been cool and damp lately.
> Thanks for any suggestions!
> Malinda
Three comments
1.One of my books has a fungus 'Sarcoscypha coccinea' that looks very
  similar to orange peel fungus 'Aleuria aurantia' and grows on woody
  debris (this is a UK and northern Europe book).
2.Rotting wood is very like soil (no doubt you have seen moss growing
  on a dead log).
3.Fungi can't read :-) and occasionally don't follow the books.
Edwin Hutton
...Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the
Internet we will ... treat with charity and patience all those souls
whom we encounter. Amen.From <>