Please identify mushroom from picture

e.hutton caterpillar at amuscaria.uklinux.net
Fri Oct 17 04:02:17 EST 2003

ian wrote:

> hello, Please can someone tell me what this mushroom is called?
>
> I photographed them in my parent's front garden in Surrey, UK.
>
> http://www.parasme.com/blogpics/mushroom.jpg
>
> Is it edible?
>
> many thanks, Ian

It's Honey Fungus - Armillaria mellea.
Edible when just sprouted but rather sickly (does actually taste somewhat of
honey).
This is not good news in your garden, if it attacks a living tree it will
kill it eventually. If things get desperate there is a product called
Armillotox (or at least there was some years ago.)

HTH
--
Edwin Hutton (use ed.hutton at ... for email)
...Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the