Mycelium Extraction

James Sherwoody jamessherwoody at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 03:46:35 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this list and the world of mycology.  I'm looking for some advice on developing a general method of extraction from mycelium for a variety of mushroom species.  These species' substrates can be composed of things like straw and brown rice flour (not wood chips).  Ultimately, what I would like to do is separate the mycelium from the substrate and then perform the extraction (soxhlet probably) on the mycelium.  A couple questions:

1. Is it reasonable to assume that one should be able to separate the mycelium from the substrate?
2. Are there certain substrates that are better for this kind of thing than others?
3. Might one merely extract the bound mycelium and substrate together?
4. What kinds of extraction methods have people used on this list either on fruiting bodies or mycelium?

Thanks in advance for your help!
James