Can anyone identify these mushrooms?

e.hutton caterpillar at amuscaria.uklinux.net
Tue Oct 28 04:10:11 EST 2003

Mark wrote:

> I have some mushrooms growing in my back garden in the wood chips that we
> have around my children's climbing frame (West Sussex, UK). I tried to
> identify what it is by looking at some pictures on the internet and books,
> but the problem is that there are both edible and highly toxic ones that
> look a lot like them!! Can anyone identify them for me from these photos
> (note that some near the bottom have a tape measure to show the size). I
> have tried to include photos of different stages of their life as well as
> some that I uprooted and broke up to show the underside / stem structure.
> Sorry that some of the photos are a bit out of focus!
>
> http://freespace.virgin.net/the.hennings/mushrooms.html
>
> Also, if they are toxic, how does one get rid of them? There are hundreds
> of them growing all over the place!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark.
>
> Note: to send me an email, please remove both of the "nospan" parts of the
> email address.

They are 'Sulpur Tuft' or scientifically 'Hypholoma fasciculare'.
Note the overall yellow/orage colour with a greeny blackish tinge on the
gills.
One of the most common musrooms.
Unfortunately distinctly not edible, probably midly poisonous, but
not dangerously so.
You will probably never get rid of them, the fungus grows on dead
wood of all kinds. Desirable fungi seem to be discouraged by artificial
fertilisers, but probably not these.
--
Edwin Hutton (use ed.hutton at ... for email)
...Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the