Mushrooms during summer months in Spain

Bart Pannebakker pannebakker at rulsfb.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Sep 9 04:16:08 EST 2003

Dear mycologists,

I am a PhD student in Animal Ecology from Leiden University in The
Netherlands. I am working on a parasitic wasp species that parasitizes
larvae of Drosophila flies living in fungi. For my research I
collected wasps in North-Eastern Spain (Catalunya, espacially Baix
Empordà area) in the years 2000 and 2001 by placing traps in forested
area's. This was in mid May and at that time I also noticed some fungi
around in the more wetter area's (near streams, in the shade of
trees). For my studies, it is important to know if the mushrooms also
are present in the rest of the year. In The Netherlands, various
mushrooms species have appear in the spring, and are present until the
end of the autumn. Consequently, there are always enough mushrooms
present from May to October to support the Drosophila flies living
from it. I can imagine that in (North-Eastern) Spain, where the
summers are dryer than in The Netherlands, the mushrooms are not
present during the whole season.

I tried to find collection dates or phenological data of suitable
mushroom species in (North-Eastern) Spain/Catalunya by going through
the available literature. From that, I understand that a lot of
mushroom species are found in the months October until January, and
also some in May. Until now I did not find much data on mushrooms
being present in the summer months (June-August). I am not sure
whether this means that there are less mushrooms present because of
the drought, or that people didn't look for them in that period.

I was wondering if anybody could help me with this issue. Mainly the
question is if there is substantial mushroom growth in the lower parts
of North-Eastern Spain/Catalunya during the summer months.

Some species that we know the flies can use as a host are:
Phallus impudicus, Oudemansiella platyphylla, Amanita rubescens, A.
fulva, Pluteus cervinus, Xerocomus badius, Polyporus squamosus,
Paxillus involutus, Collybia dryophyla.

I hope anybody can help me with this,

Kind regards,

Bart Pannebakker
Bart A. Pannebakker
Institute of Biology - Leiden University
Van der Klaauw Laboratory - Section of Animal Ecology / Section of
Evolutionary Biology
P.O. Box 9516,  2300 RA Leiden,  The Netherlands
Tel. (+31) 71 527 4990  ; Fax (+31) 71 527 4900
Email: pannebakker at rulsfb.leidenuniv.nl
http://wwwbio.leidenuniv.nl/~pannebakker/index.html