Denim Pine

Andrew Grant adgrant at cmc.net
Thu Sep 25 03:14:37 EST 2003

      I was recently travelling in the Canadian Rockies near Banff.  A
group of us were looking at a large stand of lodge-pole pine trees that
had a fair number of dead trees throughout the stand.  I was told that
the trees were killed by the pine-bark beetle.  Someone then mentioned
that there was a developing market for such trees because some of them
were stained blue by the beetles and were being sold under the name of
denim-pine or denim-wood.  It seems unlikely to me that the stain was
due to beetles.  It seems more likely that this would be a secondary
infection of fungi similar to the "green oak" fungi.  Anybody have any
information on this?