nutrient agar on cloth object

Mycos mycos_bush_ at
Mon May 24 08:43:30 EST 2004

On 4 May 2004 10:02:59 +0100, "Alex Metral" <mail at> wrote:

>Hello; I am an artist with a nutrient-agar-drying-out-getting-lumpy-problem.
>I've been trying to grow skin bacteria and fungus on  a pair of lace gloves.
>Right now I either have a layer of agar on top which dries out, or I have a
>thick layer that gets very lumpy. I want the agar to be as invisible as
>possible, and the cultures to be visible.  I've grown them in petri dishes
>with nutrient agar. In my oven (with warming light on and a dish of water
>inside) I have a glass dish, and the gloves soaking in a thick layer, with
>saran wrap over them But the final project needs the gloves to be displayed
>as gloves, just with bacteria growths. so they need to be removed from the
>agar surround.

I'd try getting the inside of the glove as contaminated as possible (very filthy IOW)
while keeping the outside pristine. Then, when you're agar is still hot and in solution,
pour it inside the gloves, maybe even with a rubber glove inserted with numerous very
small holes in it that will allow small area's of agar to seep out and get contaminated.
Then,  arrange the glove as you would very quickly, and let the agar harden. I f they are
lace, then there will plenty of holes for the molds  to settle onto the bits of agar that
have seeped out,  with the hyphae being able to grow back into the inside of the glove,
gathering nutrients so that it can continue growing on the outside of the glove, using the
holes through to the agar on the inside for the transfer of nutrients. 

Also, it's occurred to me that the lumpy agar may well be bacteria. I'd put a bactericide
in the agar, because the molds are, by far, the most colorful, or at least interesting
looking. Bacteria  for the most part looks like slime..... slime with some color to it;
if your lucky.
But your the artist.........<g>

Gary Williams

Gary Williams

More information about the Mycology mailing list