[Mycology] Re: Mushrooms in Nothern California

dwheeler at ipns.com dwheeler at ipns.com
Mon Aug 14 01:02:04 EST 2006

dwheeler at ipns.com wrote:
> Ron Ruby wrote:
> > I would like to photograph some mushrooms in Northern California or souther Oregon during my vacation in the middle of August.  I realize that this is not the best time, but am I out of luck?   Please give me some clues as to where and when.  Thanks,
> >

> > Ron
> August is the most likely time to find mummified mushrooms.
> So...if you are desperate for fresh, first try along the CA-OR coast.
> The coast often/sometimes has cooler temperatures and fog condensation,
> which will allow searching coastal areas within 1/2 mile of the coast
> itself to sometimes be good.
It's now August 13, and I haven't seen many fungi on the coast. Went
there last Saturday, and found only 3 species: Russula nigricans,
Polyporus badius, Ganoderma tsugae.

Talked with a gentleman who is also something of a mushroom hunter, who
said the upper Cascades should be a better bet now. Lots of summer
thunderstorms south of Mt. Hood to Mt. Jefferson, and perhaps further
south as well.

Daniel B. Wheeler