[Mycology] Pidpenky

Monica Blaney Monica.Blaney at gov.ab.ca
Tue Aug 22 15:07:54 EST 2006

Hi

I found your email address on
http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/mycology/1996-November/004834.html

I am looking for the english or latin name for the mushrooms that
Ukrainians in Manitoba call Pidpenky - they are brown top  cone when
young and then seem to flatten out when larger.  Small dark spots on
cap,  gilled, white stalk with a little collar around close to the cap
and the stalk is solid when cross cut

I have been told  they are armillaria mellea but when I see pictures of
those it does not look like the mushrooms we picked around Winnipeg
Manitoba

Can you help me?

Sincerely

Monica Blaney