[Mycology] Re: carbon ball spores

Kurt norsgerm at arvig.net
Wed Feb 8 18:50:20 EST 2006

Thank you to the individual who mailed me. I should have been more precise.
First location..northern Minnesota..mixed hardwoods
Time.....primetime....Aug20-Sept20
Positive ID...Daldinia concentrica (carbon balls) and Hericium ramosum (comb
tooth Hedgehog)
Situation....On a fallen maple log. There were many carbon balls on the top
half of the log shedding lots of brown/black spores on the combtooth below.
As the carbon balls are obviously inedible my books mention nothing about
them being toxic. Where would I find this info?
My intrest in fruiting bodies is still primarily in eating them, and comb
tooths make my mouth water. I did not dare to eat this one because of the
dark spores from the carbon balls.
news:mailman.1033.1139428259.29584.mycology at net.bio.net...