[Mycology] Re: Unknown Paxillus (Cambridge, UK)

Nick Maclaren via mycology%40net.bio.net (by nmm1 from cus.cam.ac.uk)
Mon Oct 23 12:27:30 EST 2006

In article <mailman.153.1161450920.23274.mycology from net.bio.net>,
nmm1 from cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:

|> There is a Paxillus that I can't identify that grows every year
|> in my garden.  It is very like P. involutus, but is twice the size
|> (8-12" in diameter).  It is either mycorrhizal or harmlessly
|> parasitic on birch.

Hmm.  Well, I looked at a copy of Carleton Rea in the UL, and am no
wiser.  P. involutus is still by far the closest match, but it is
supposed to be MUCH smaller (2.5x in diameter).  P. atrotomentosus
doesn't match at all well, and P. giganteus is even worse.

One other possibility is that it was brought in on the birch tree,
which may have been imported, and is not one of the 15 species
described in Rea as native to the UK.  Well, if so, it grows here
now :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.