[Mycology] Re: Can you identify my fungi?

dwheeler from ipns.com via mycology%40net.bio.net (by dwheeler from ipns.com)
Wed Aug 22 00:07:03 EST 2007

On Jul 25, 11:59 am, Barbara & Don Logan <dlo... from alaska.net> wrote:
> Please view the images at :
>
> http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~soakbear/grace/eagle_river/micr...
>
> http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~soakbear/grace/eagle_river/micr...
>
> http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~soakbear/grace/eagle_river/brac...
>
> My daughter took these photos in May 2007 in Eagle River, Alaska.
> Have I correctly identified the reds as Microstoma protracta?
> What are the bracket fungi? I think they are on Birch; would that mean
> Birch Conk - Polyphores?
>
> Thanks,
> Barbara
Pretty sure the last one on the stump is Coriolus versicolor (Turkey
tail fungus), which is often chewed like gum by the Chinese as a
substitute for aspirin. The fluted orange specimens could be a variety
of chanterelle, but I'd have to see the gills/ridges to be more
certain.

Daniel B. Wheeler