[Mycology] (no subject)

Mycos via mycology%40net.bio.net (by mycos from shaw.ca)
Wed Dec 19 13:54:18 EST 2007

I was wondering what the trick had to have been! Many
years ago Paul Kroeger picked up a second hand one from
the UBC auction for a mere $100. Needless to say, both
he and I were pleased as punch considering the filter
alone was worth more than that --- nevertheless an
assembled, ready-to-go LFH.

And they are indeed the cat's meow for culture work,
but surprisingly not as commonplace as one would
expect. For instance, some time ago I went up to the
local college here in Kamloops to do some private work
which they had graciously loaned their facilities to me
for. When I got there however I find they were using
their fume hoods as a kind of poor-man's glove-box.

Apart from my embarrassment at having to decline the
offer (I decided the cost of my specimens being lost to
contamination wasn't worth the risk of me being
gracious and accepting the circumstances) was the
curious matter of a mycologist being the acting Dean of
the Science/Forestry wing at the time. I would have
thought that LFHs would have been his first order of
business! <g> Oh, well. The social-sciences need their
specimens as well <g>.

Gary Williams