[Mycology] Cortinarius bellus toxicity ?

Mycos via mycology%40net.bio.net (by mycos from shaw.ca)
Wed Jun 13 06:16:24 EST 2007

Hi,
My name is Gary Williams. I am a consultant for BC (British Columbia,
Canada) Drug and Poison Control, with a special interest in mycology.

Your concern over C. bellus, although justified in regards to it
belonging to a family/genus containing several species with the  toxin
"orellanine", C. bellus is not one that comes to mind in this regard.
But since we are on opposite sides of the planet, I considered that may
be simply due to a case of "Out of site, out of mind".

So I checked the internet for known Corts containing
orellanine."Cortinarius orellanus" + orellanine brought back 436 hits.
Similarly, C. gentilis brought back 56 matches. C. bellus brings back 0.
Nothing.

Now, I realize this isn't the most scientific method of going about
determining the presence of a toxin, but all in all, I would consider it
enough that you can tell your friend to relax on the matter. My only
concern now would be whether it was a positive ID and/or whether the
species has been previously assayed for the presence of orellanine. In
any case, familiarize yourself with the symptoms of orellanine
poisoning, and if  anything resembling these begin to manifest
themselves, please seek medical treatment. Be sure to tell the attending
physician that the name of the suspected toxin is ORELLANINE.

G~