[Mycology] Re: Edibility of Russula and Lactarius

ram via mycology%40net.bio.net (by ram_palbert from yahoo.com)
Thu May 10 09:29:19 EST 2007


On May 3, 11:01 pm, Joe Skulan <jlsku... from geology.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Perhaps this is not the ideal forum for these questions, but I have  
> exhausted other options.
>
> 1. Are there any toxic species of Lactarius that it is known cannot  
> be detoxified by the Russian method of soaking in several changes of  
> water, boiling and salting?
>
> 2. Are any russulas known to be toxic other than R. emetica?
>
> By toxic I mean toxic, as in eating them will make you sick. I do not  
> mean that it might make some people sick, or that we don't know if  
> it's toxic or not so we will assume it is. I don't want general  
> warnings about being careful, I certainly don't want information on  
> "edibility" that mixes toxicological information with subjective  
> judgments on taste. I'm growing very frustrated with the poor quality  
> of information on toxicity provided in guides, most of which seem to  
> be written by people with very limited palates.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joe Skulan

What DO you want to know?  Do you want to "Know" that all Russula's
other than R. emetica are non-toxic, and that all Lactarius are edible
once salted?  Would you believe me if I said this was true?

It is with good reason that most authors of field guides are cautious
when treating the subject of mycophagy.
If you are looking for a guide with a less "limited" approach to
mycophagy, you should try Charles Mcilvaine, One Thousand American
Fungi....



More information about the Mycology mailing list