[Mycology] Re: Edibility of Russula and Lactarius

Brad Miller via mycology%40net.bio.net (by bwmillergk from hotmail.com)
Thu May 10 19:06:52 EST 2007


Well, 

>From a biogeography stand point, there is no reason to think that a
preparation method in Russia, China, or from Venus would automatically apply
to native fungi of North America. I study the biochemistry of mycorrhiza and
I am having problems just trying to make predictions about the metabolites
of fungi in a single forests much less across continents. 

I agree with previous posting that authors must be cautious else they are
being reckless. The best thing to do is to ask around especially of locales
who have feasted upon the mushrooms you desire.  In addition people respond
differently to eating the same mushrooms so a single answer, cooking method,
sniff test, or color change will never id "safe" fungi for consumption or
recreation. Mother nature has too much fun keeping us on our toes. Therefore
" Let the buyer beware".



Respectfully, 


Bradley W. Miller
Department of Forestry
Virginia Tech
540 382 7431 (H)
540 231 9929 (O)
bwmillergk from hotmail.com
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/forestry/Graduate/GraduateStudents/Miller.html
“Nutrients grow leaves, Leaves grow trees.
Fungi decompose leaves, trees, and uptake nutrients

Fungi Win!!!”

-----Original Message-----
From: mycology-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:mycology-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of ram
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:46 AM
To: bionet-mycology from moderators.isc.org
Subject: [Mycology] Re: Edibility of Russula and Lactarius

On May 3, 11:01 pm, Joe Skulan <jlsku... from geology.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Perhaps this is not the ideal forum for these questions, but I have  
> exhausted other options.
>
> 1. Are there any toxic species of Lactarius that it is known cannot  
> be detoxified by the Russian method of soaking in several changes of  
> water, boiling and salting?
>
> 2. Are any russulas known to be toxic other than R. emetica?
>
> By toxic I mean toxic, as in eating them will make you sick. I do not  
> mean that it might make some people sick, or that we don't know if  
> it's toxic or not so we will assume it is. I don't want general  
> warnings about being careful, I certainly don't want information on  
> "edibility" that mixes toxicological information with subjective  
> judgments on taste. I'm growing very frustrated with the poor quality  
> of information on toxicity provided in guides, most of which seem to  
> be written by people with very limited palates.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joe Skulan

Actually, late last august, I collected Lactarius subvellereus in
mixed woods on our property.
It was prepared using the tradional Russian method, boiling and
changing the water twice and then packing in rock salt with a weight
on top.  The mushrooms were sampled a month later, and were quite
tasty.  However, (if you want the grimy details) my stools were a
little loose shortly afterwards, about 45 minutes.  Not exactly the
Runs, but just a little loose.  My friend with whom I prepared the
mushrooms reported the same effect.  We both tried tasting again
several times, always with the same "loosening" effect.   Drinking a
glass of vodka before eating the mushroom had no noticable effect
(other than the expected).  Although I fed what was left of my Salted
mushrooms to my chickens, my friend kept a jar and uses them when he
needs to "go".

I do not pronounce toxicity, but rather leave it to you, Joe Skulan,
to dicern whether this particular Lactarius is Toxic or not.


_______________________________________________
Mycology mailing list
Mycology from net.bio.net
http://www.bio.net/biomail/listinfo/mycology




More information about the Mycology mailing list