[Mycology] Re: Help identifying mushroom?

dwheeler from ipns.com via mycology%40net.bio.net (by dwheeler from ipns.com)
Sat Oct 27 20:20:39 EST 2007

On Oct 24, 1:03 pm, "deltcon" <delt... from tusco.net> wrote:
> Need a photo of  some shittaki mushrooms . Placed spores on White Oak logs  in the Spring.  Mushrooms grew out of the dowel rods . Mushrooms about 4" across, golden brown, pugent odor and white underneath. We  were not expecting mushrooms util next spring. Just need to know where to look. TIA (delt... from tusco.net)

Go to Google.com, click on photos, and type in shiitake  (note 2 i's)
or look at the gills with a hand-held magnifying glass. Shiitake
(Lentinula edodes) has serated gills, meaning that they should look
like a serated knife or saw blade. Only Lentinus and Lentinula have
serated gills that I know of.

Daniel B. Wheeler