[Mycology] Re: Help with ID

Mycos via mycology%40net.bio.net (by mycos from shaw.ca)
Thu Apr 24 14:28:47 EST 2008

Yes, the False Morel [Gyromitra esculanta] ID seems a good one.

As for edibility, they've been reported as edible by people around the
world, but they've also been shown to produce tumors in rats. The
MMH...although rather unstable and thereby likely to be destroyed by
cooking, also comes with a warning to avoid inhaling the gases that come
off during the cooking process. These all serve to tell me that there is
no mushroom so flavorful that I would want to risk any of the above.

Heh! Your milage may vary, and with hydrazine, it could vary quite a
bit. (Boo! okay, it was just hanging there, so I had to take a swipe at
it <g>)

Gary Williams