[Mycology] Re: Help with ID

dwheeler from ipns.com via mycology%40net.bio.net (by dwheeler from ipns.com)
Tue Apr 29 04:23:44 EST 2008

On Apr 23, 4:12 pm, Joe Skulan <jlsku... from geology.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Can anyone help identify these mushrooms? They were collected
> recently in a mixed forest in the Kaluga region of Russia, about 100
> miles south of Moscow. They look like some kind of Gyromitra, but I
> unfortunately know no more about them than what is visible in the
> photo:
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/jlskulan/mushrooms.jpg
>
> Thank you,
>
> Joe Skulan
Looks like Gyromitra esculenta to me, Joe. Highly not recommended,
even though Alexander H. Smith has said they were edible. His
daughter, Nancy Smith (who actually could eat mushrooms, unlike her
father) has detailed the monomethylhydrazine (MMH) content of even
dried specimens, and warns that even with parboiling the MMH content
is way too high for safety of consumption. Effects appear to be
cumulative. The difference, according to Mushrooms: Poisons and
Panaceas, is the number of meals you have of this over as short a
period as a week.

I have had 1-2 meals of this, and have lived to tell about it. But
cannot recommend it for anyone again, and don't trust my accumulated
MMH count.

Daniel B. Wheeler