[Mycology] Re: Help with ID

Paul Pirot via mycology%40net.bio.net (by paul.pirot.mycology from skynet.be)
Wed Apr 30 04:43:53 EST 2008

You are right, Daniel !
We don't eat anymore Gyromitras in Europe, even dried and well cooked.
Greetings.

Paul Pirot (Belgium)

-----Message d'origine-----
De : mycology-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:mycology-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] De la part de
dwheeler from ipns.com
Envoyé : mardi 29 avril 2008 11:24
À : bionet-mycology from moderators.isc.org
Objet : [Mycology] Re: Help with ID

On Apr 23, 4:12 pm, Joe Skulan <jlsku... from geology.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Can anyone help identify these mushrooms? They were collected
> recently in a mixed forest in the Kaluga region of Russia, about 100
> miles south of Moscow. They look like some kind of Gyromitra, but I
> unfortunately know no more about them than what is visible in the
> photo:
>
> http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/jlskulan/mushrooms.jpg
>
> Thank you,
>
> Joe Skulan
Looks like Gyromitra esculenta to me, Joe. Highly not recommended,
even though Alexander H. Smith has said they were edible. His
daughter, Nancy Smith (who actually could eat mushrooms, unlike her
father) has detailed the monomethylhydrazine (MMH) content of even
dried specimens, and warns that even with parboiling the MMH content
is way too high for safety of consumption. Effects appear to be
cumulative. The difference, according to Mushrooms: Poisons and
Panaceas, is the number of meals you have of this over as short a
period as a week.

I have had 1-2 meals of this, and have lived to tell about it. But
cannot recommend it for anyone again, and don't trust my accumulated
MMH count.

Daniel B. Wheeler