[Mycology] Mystery Clear Gel: slime mold or what?

Glenn Johnson via mycology%40net.bio.net (by glennjo from yahoo.com)
Sun Nov 23 22:38:54 EST 2008

Dear Leon and/or Lorelie,

I found your email addresses through the Mushroom Journal and some googling, and thought you may be able to help us.  My family currently lives east of Springfield, Oregon near the small towns of Jasper, McKenzie, and Dexter (all on the west side of the Cascade Mountains).  For years we've been occasionally finding a mysterious clear, gel-like substance, mostly on our windshields but on roads or the ground as well.  It has no smell, no taste(!), and domestic animals are not interested in it.  It has appeared quite suddenly (within 15 minutes of a cars return to the house, for example), usually after or during rains.  Observed samples vary widely in size, but usually about a 1/4 cup which may be in one lump or spread out in quarter-sized bits.  We dried  a sample once and it shrinks to a rubber-like consistency--yet re-constitutes back to original gel when added to water.

Have you heard of anything like this before?  We have no idea what it is, and are curious if it might be some sort of slime mold....(though one mycologist we asked was stumped..).  Whatever it is, if you can help identify it we would very much appreciate it.

If  you'd like we can send a picture and/or a sample.

Thank you,
Glenn Johnson
glennjo from yahoo.com

Glenn Johnson MS Graduate Assistant
School of Natural Resources
University of Arizona
 Tucson, Arizona 85719
 glennjo from yahoo.com glennjo from email.arizona.edu