[Mycology] ABC Oyster Cultivation

Danny Newman via mycology%40net.bio.net (by newmy51 from gmail.com)
Thu Sep 18 17:32:12 EST 2008

Going from memory of a friend's highly simplified explanation of mushroom
cultivation, I've taken pieces of a local ostreatus fruit and placed them
between the slots of a bunch of strips of corrugated cardboard, soaked and
rolled them and left them in a cool dry place for about a week.  Not a whole
lot of myceliation so far.  I know the tissue is more than viable for
cloning, but without any real cultivation equipment readily available, is
this a decent method for starting an oyster patch?  Is there an alternate,
preferable method?  Additionally, would coffee grounds alone suffice as a
substrate?  Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Danny