[Mycology] Re: ABC Oyster Cultivation

dwheeler from ipns.com via mycology%40net.bio.net (by dwheeler from ipns.com)
Sun Sep 21 03:22:34 EST 2008

On Sep 18, 3:32 pm, "Danny Newman" <newm... from gmail.com> wrote:
> Going from memory of a friend's highly simplified explanation of mushroom
> cultivation, I've taken pieces of a local ostreatus fruit and placed them
> between the slots of a bunch of strips of corrugated cardboard, soaked and
> rolled them and left them in a cool dry place for about a week.  Not a whole
> lot of myceliation so far.  I know the tissue is more than viable for
> cloning, but without any real cultivation equipment readily available, is
> this a decent method for starting an oyster patch?  Is there an alternate,
> preferable method?  Additionally, would coffee grounds alone suffice as a
> substrate?  Any and all help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Danny

If you have taken portions of the gills including spores (and I don't
see any way you couldn't) then you will have mycelium develop.
Pleurotus ostreatus likes warm conditions for growing: optimal
conditions are 77 degrees F. and near 90% humidity. If you haven't
placed the cardboard inside a plastic bag, do so ASAP.

The preferred method is to take a small portion of the stipe that has
not previously been exposed to air, and place it on fresh agar, then
incubate in a warm area to see if you can get a pure culture. Your
method will work, but it requires optimal conditions for P.o. to grow,
rather than the estimated 10,000 spores contained in each breath you
take. In other words, it can work. But only time will prove if it
actually does work now. Sealing the substrate inside plastic removes a
lot of possible contaminants from your attempted culture.

Paul Stamets has used fresh coffee grounds to grow Pleurotus ostreatus
on. And it works. You can also soak a roll of paper towels in 2 cups
of warm water, add pieces of fresh Pleurotus ostreatus, and seal in a
large plastic bag. You can even use fresh newsprint (the daily paper?)
by treating in the same manner. Pleurotus ostreatus is a rapid grower
when conditions are right. But there are many other fungi which also
like the same sorts of substrates.

Daniel B. Wheeler