[Mycology] fungi pigmentation question

Baldwin, Ann M. via mycology%40net.bio.net (by Ann.Baldwin from metmuseum.org)
Wed Feb 11 11:40:07 EST 2009

If there are answers to this, I would love to know.
I am an art conservator working on mold-damaged artworks on paper.
Any information about the chemistry/role of fungal pigments is useful.
Ann

Ann M. Baldwin
Associate Paper Conservator
Metropolitan Museum of Art
1000 Fifth Avenue
New York, New York 10028
212-650-2165

-----Original Message-----
From: mycology-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:mycology-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Teresa Cypher
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:55 PM
To: mycology from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Mycology] fungi pigmentation question

Hi,

I am not sure if I am sending this to the correct address?  I got this address from a site that I visited and read an answer to a question about molds.

If there is anyone there willing to field this question, I would be so grateful.

What purpose does the color pigmentation of a mold serve?  Is it a sign of maturity?

Thanks, so very much :-)

Willow