[Mycology] Chanterelle troubles?

George Hudler via mycology%40net.bio.net (by gwh2 from cornell.edu)
Mon Nov 9 08:56:35 EST 2009

Colleagues -
I received the following e-mail from a former student and replied as
you see below. Has anyone had a similar experience with "wilted"
chanterelles...perhaps with a cause other than possible bacterial
growth?
Thanks.
George Hudler (gwh2 from cornell.edu)
===========
ORIGINAL INQUIRY

>Hello Professor Hudler,
>
>I was a student in your mushroom class and have since graduated from
>Cornell. I am a cook and at my business we received some yellowfoot
>chanterelles from a reputable supplier however, many of the
>mushrooms seemed wilted upon arrival, we picked through them and
>have been using them, however, I found today that I had a bitter
>taste in my mouth all day ( I had consumed some of the mushrooms the
>night before) no matter what food I tasted and although it subsided
>later in the evening after much milk and water, when i tried some of
>the chanterelle sauce it returned full fledged. A coworker of mine
>had a similar sensation and I was wondering if this bitterness could
>be associated with the mushrooms in some way and if it is something
>to be concerned about? I thought you might be able to offer some
>insight on the subject.

MY REPLY

I'm not aware of any documented bitter taste associated with aged
chanterelles, but I do know that bacterial growth on mushrooms can
cause a wide array of unpleasant tastes.  I wouldn't be surprised to
learn that one of those tastes is a prolonged bitterness.  I
definitely don't think it's a good idea to serve them to the public
and would make your supplier aware of your concerns ASAP.  Even if
you can't get a refund on what you have purchased, I think you're
better off to toss them than to risk lost future business because of
dissatisfied (poisoned?) customers this time around.
I'll forward your e-mail (with your ID removed) to a mycology
list-serve I'm on to see if anyone else has more to add on the matter.

--
George W. Hudler
Professor and Chair