[Mycology] ID help

Joe Skulan via mycology%40net.bio.net (by jlskulan from geology.wisc.edu)
Mon Nov 22 20:36:00 EST 2010

Below are some links to images of the boundary between a dinosaur bone
(the white area on the bottom or right) and a thing rind of apatite
(calcium phosphate) that adheres to the bone. Some mineral grains are
visible in the rind, but the dark squiggly lines are unusual. They do
not appear to be crystals or any other inorganic structure. Could they
be fungal? The size and shape seem right, as does the location near a
rich source of nutrients, but I'd like other opinions. (Dark regions
correspond to low-density areas or vacuities. The "fungal" structures
are hollow.) Note that in the last picture ("deflected squiggle") the
structure appears to have intersected and turned away from the bone
margin.

As the bone itself is composed of apatite, a mineral that is otherwise
rare in the rocks in which the bone was embedded, I suspect that the
bone was the source of the apatite in the rind. The question is, how
was the apatite dissolved and re-deposited? Could this have been the
work of fungi?

Cheers,

Joe Skulan
University of Wisconsin Geology Museum