Neurosurgery Information Needed

A. J. Annala annala at neuro.usc.edu
Fri Aug 30 00:32:52 EST 1991

In article <uwm.edu> nora at csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Nora Nizam Khammash) writes:
>A psychiatric patient, diagnosed as having an "Obsessive Compulsive
>Disorder", was advised to have a Modified Leukotomy or Tractotomy operation
>performed on him after all other psychiatric treatments failed.

In my opinion, treatment of a behavioral disorder by psychosurgery in the
absence of a demonstrated organic disease process is barbaric.  Without an
absolutely solid agreement of several independent practicioners on surgery
as the only practical alternative I would not agree to such a procedure.

I would get a second opinion on the indications for surgery from: Dr. Sanford
J. Larson, M.D., Program Director, Department of Neurosurgery, Milwaukee
County Medical Complex, 8700 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53226 --or-- any
other surgeon certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.