what I did this summer

Kraig Eno kraig at biostr.washington.edu
Mon Aug 5 15:11:03 EST 1991

In article <22610 at duke.cs.duke.edu> tbd at neuro (Tristan Davies) writes:
> Is everyone on vacation or something?
> I hope you're all having a good time!

No, I am not on vacation, but I am having a great time.  Besides lots o'
sailing, I'm working on a reorganization of the knowledge base innards for
a neuroanatomy teaching module.  I know nothing about neuroscience, but
I'm involved at the periphery (consider that the users of our materials
may be the ones doing the science in a few years).

I have a question that's been burning in my heart, though: consider the
idea of recording the signal from a sensory nerve (say, visual or
auditory) in analog form, and then playing it back -- either immediately,
restimulating the same patient, or even storing the signal and applying it
to other patients.  Does the technology exist for accurate detection of
the signals generated in a neural pathway as a result of a stimulus, and
for equally accurate restimulation there?  Basically, how much information
proceeds down one of these pathways and what level of accuracy would be
necessary to recreate it (say, number of probes and amount of data storage
per probe) to make the recreated sensory experience seem "real".

You probably know where the question is headed: high-fidelity recording
and playback of audio/visual material, digital processing of same, perhaps
real-time (say, hearing aids; artificial reality).  That sort of thing.

Kraig Eno, kraig at biostr.washington.edu
"Chimneys rise from man's domain, the sky returns the acid rain;
Heaven's gift with human stain." -- Tom Howard