Statistical models of memory

Carl Turner cwt at reef.cis.ufl.edu
Mon Aug 5 14:53:29 EST 1991

reynolds at park.bu.edu (John Reynolds) writes:

>> Me, I found a few articles on mathematical models of memory (e.g., Estes,
>> 1986; Smith & Medin, 1981) and I'm implementing them in LISP.
>
>I would be interested in reading a summary of the Estes model of
>memory.

The Estes article is a comparative study of several well-known statistical
models of memory.  The article is comprehensive and defies a quick summary;
I'll quote verbatim from the abstract....

"A family of models for category learning is developed, all members being
based on a common memory array but differing in memory access and decision
processess.  Within this framework (these models) reveal isomorphism
between models of different types under some conditions but empirically
testable differences under others...."

Estes, W.K. (1986). Array models for category learning.  Cognitive Psychology,
  18, 500-549.

Note that these are statistical models, rather than symbolic or connectionist
models, each having their own strengths and weaknesses.

vxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvx
v  Carl Turner                             Psychology Department             x
v  turner at webb.psych.ufl.edu    University of Florida, Gainesville FL 32611  x
vxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvxvx