graduate programs in neuroscience/neurosensory/cybernetics

Steven M. Scott sscott at mbir.bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Sep 6 16:52:50 EST 1991

I'm looking for a university that has a research group studying how the brain interprets sensory
input, particularly from the eyes.  I'm interested in exploring the possibilities for substituting
electrical signals in place of the nerve impulses when these are blocked (for instance, when the
optic nerve is severed or the eye is damaged.)  I'm also interested in stimulation of muscles after
the spinal cord has been severed.  I guess you could call this cybernetics, although I'm hesitant
because I don't expect the research to have advanced far enough to produce the kind of results
usually associated with the idea.  But I guess the kind of stuff I'm looking for is the type of
research that will eventually lead to the artificial eyes, limbs, or chips-in-the-head that all
the sci-fi guys like to write about.

Anyway, I'm assuming this kind of research is very cross-disciplinary because I'm not a biology
major (although I have a strong interest in it) and I'm not sure I could get into a medical PhD
program unless I could convince them I had something to contribute.  I have no idea where to
look for this kind of stuff.  Is it in neuroscience or something else, like biophysics.  I
occasionally see hints of this kind of stuff in descriptions of EE or comp. sci. departments.

Any info would be extremely help and greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

sscott at mbir.bcm.tmc.edu