Biological basis of....

Gene Wallenstein WALLENSTEIN%FAUCCS at ACC.FAU.EDU
Mon Sep 30 19:21:00 EST 1991

>I have the idea that aesthetics must have a biological basis, in the sense
>that something aesthetically pleasing evokes different neural activation
>patterns than something which is not. Is anything known about that?

>Joe Lammens.

I would say that many people also have this idea and it is a very
interesting question but perhaps awkward to answer. For instance, if
one were to suppose that something aesthetically pleasing doesn't
evoke different "neural activation patterns" when compared to
something which is not, and we make the assumption that this is not
expressed through a biophysical process, what might the medium be for
such expression? If I am from Anytown, Country, and we all seem to
have a "cultural" preference for dadaism in my little group, and I
indeed also have this feel for dadaism, is this not a biophysical
event?

However, if the question is asking whether or not I was "predisposed"
to like dadaism from birth, perhaps it should be rephrased to reflect
this issue rather than that discussed above.