Cyberware - What is the mind?

TTCHENG at VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU TTCHENG at VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Mon Sep 9 01:04:57 EST 1991

"The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste"

     -Ministry

Just what is the mind with respect to cybernetics?  I'd have to say it's
whatever a person (or dolphin, monkey, etc.) can control with it's
"conscious" thoughts.  Any voluntary peripheral activity as well as
coherent, voluntary mental (in the brain) activity is included in this
definition.  I restrict this operational definition to conscious thought
because the goal of a cybernetic mind-machine interface is control of
some device.  I include peripheral nerural/neuromuscular/neuro-whatever
activity in with this definition of "mind" because such things are easier
to measure than brain activity (less cutting involved).

-Tom Tcheng