Cyberware

85p8379 at csdvax.csd.unsw.oz.au 85p8379 at csdvax.csd.unsw.oz.au
Thu Sep 5 09:17:11 EST 1991

In my opinion a 'computer' has potential to be utilised as a vast memory bank,
with the important property that the 'quality' of the memory is not degraded
over time (cf. 'holistic' memory that we humans have, which gets a bit fuzzy
round the edges as the years pass).

Undoubtedly, the use of the keyboard and VDU (and to a lesser extent the mouse)
as the human-computer interface is highly inefficient, not to mention counter-
intuitive.  This train of thought points to the benefit of having a direct
brain--machine interface, whatever form it might take (I'm allowing myself to
be a little fanciful here !).

For example, simply wishing to recall some particular information could then
trigger appropriate software to locate and bring to consciousness the relevant
data.

Before I drift too far from reality, let me comment in response to the previous
post:  Well, Don, you have a VERY good point there...  Just WHAT is the mind ?