What are the six different types of human neurons?

John Edstrom edstrom at hsc.ucalgary.ca
Thu Apr 9 09:53:02 EST 1992

In article <1992Apr8.235705.26412 at organpipe.uug.arizona.edu> bill at NSMA.AriZonA.EdU (Bill Skaggs) writes:
>In article <1992Apr8.151118.4780 at watmath.waterloo.edu>
>mwtilden at watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark W. Tilden) writes:
>>During a recent neural-networks lecture, it was pointed out that
>>comp-sci types only model one type of human neuron, where animal (human)
>>bodys contain no less than six different types.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this.  What criteria were used
to define these classes?  What was the context of the talk?

>>I know I could look this up, but what is a net for?  Could someone
>>please post the names of these six, and, if possible, a short discription
>>of their physiological locations and function (so far as is known).
>  I doubt that you could look this up, because it's nonsense.
>Animal bodies contain literally hundreds of different types of
>neuron.  Even if you only distinguish on the basis of the
>chemical neurotransmitter used, there are still at least several
>dozen different types.  The functional consequences of these
>differences have hardly begun to be explored by neural network
>	-- Bill

Amen!  If there only were six types we'd probably know everything by
now. :-)

 Except for specail restricted purposes (retina physiolgy, cerebellum
physiology, etc.) the notion of a few types of neurons or standard
circuitry has no credibility among neuroscientists.

John Edstrom | edstrom @ elmer.hsc.ucalgary.ca

 RM 2104, HSc Building,  Div. Neuroscience
 U. Calgary School of Medicine,  3330 Hospital Drive NW
 Calgary, Alberta       T2N 3Y4
 (403) 220 4493  (wk)