why 2 brains?

Thomas Kepler kepler at SANTAFE.EDU
Tue Apr 7 11:53:49 EST 1992

A machine-learning researcher here asked me why the cerebral cortex is
divided into two halves, with relatively little communication between them.
He was concerned that maybe there is a *reason* for having this arrangement,
and wanted to know what it might be.  I mumbled something about early develop-
ment and the corpus callosum being a fairly hefty channel after all,
but I'm not comfortable with those responses.  If there is anyone out there who can shed some light on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
	Please respond personally, since we don't have a usenet news here.

	Thank you,

	Tom Kepler