oscillations

Paul Sajda sajda at gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Sat Apr 4 11:37:18 EST 1992

I think there is still quite a bit of debate regarding whether oscillations or phased-locked firing would act as the substrate for solving the binding problem.  For example one possibility is that neurons located in different areas of the cortex and coding different stimulus properties of the same object could oscillate at the same frequency.  Different objects would be segmented by having distinct frequecies for each object.  Another possibility is that the oscillation frequecny is not important (and carr

ies no information) but instead neurons coding for a particular object would phase--lock.  In this case the actual oscillation frequency would not bind the neurons, rather the fact that all neurons are firing in synchrony would segment different objects from one another.

To get a background on this phenomenon (or epi-phenomenon) I would suggest two articles in the 1990 Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology.  One is by Singer et al. which reviews the neurophysiology and the other is by Crick and Koch which offers some interesting speculations on how this relates to the binding problem and perception.

		Paul Sajda
		Department of Bioengineering
		University of Pennsylvania
		Hayden Hall