Request for EEG data

Lester Ingber ingber at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Apr 3 10:17:00 EST 1992

Request for EEG data

I will be gearing up my codes to study some EEG data to be sent to me
soon, and I would like to use my time efficiently to similarly study
other sources of EEG data.

The neocortical modeling and numerical methodology I am using is
presented in a recent paper on statistical mechanics of neocortical
interactions (SMNI):
%A L. Ingber
%T Statistical mechanics of neocortical interactions:
A scaling paradigm applied to electroencephalography
%J Phys. Rev. A
%S 6
%V 44
%P 4017-4060
%D 1991

An extension of the numerical algorithm used, very fast simulated
reannealing (VFSR), is presented in:
%A L. Ingber
%T Generic mesoscopic neural networks based on statistical mechanics
of neocortical interactions
%J Phys. Rev. A
%V 45
%S 4
%P R2183-R2186
%D 1992
As stated in this paper, this extended algorithm can be used to develop
a robust simulation of brain activity, and I plan to further develop it
into a clinical tool.

At the end of this posting, I give directions on how these reprints may
be obtained via anonymous ftp.  These are in files eeg.ps.Z and
mnn.ps.Z.

However, right now I plan on using only the methodology in the first
paper above, until I can see spending more time and resources on the
extended project.  In fact, right now I plan to only spend time to
perform a study worthy of publication to demonstrate the utility of
using good nonlinear stochastic neocortical models to extract
correlates of behavioral states.  I.e., I do not plan on performing a
full series of analyses on a large pool of clinical data.

There are at least two main classes of requirements that I see
as necessary for this data to be usefully processed:

(1)
The recordings should be able to be correlated to localized activity,
e.g., within several cms.  For example, one technique, taking
Laplacians using neighboring electrode recordings, requires having sets
of electrodes over a given region be dense enough to sensibly perform
these approximate numerical second-order derivatives.  For most tasks
of interest, I would assume that at least 4-5 such spatial regions
(each so densely populated) be recorded over at least 100-200 epochs
each of duration about 10 msec.

(2)
The experimental tasks should require varying levels of selective
attention.  This requirement is imposed by the context of the SMNI
model I have developed.  The outline of the project is to perform
robust model-fits on at least two classes of data, e.g., during
selective attention and during baseline activity.  I expect to be able
to demonstrate correlations in terms of intra-electrode-site
coherencies and inter-electrode-site connectivities, as performed in
the paper above.  [Presumably, the data I used for that paper showed no
effects between the two population groups because there really is no
such effect between the two populations.  This conclusion has become
more evident in light of more recent publications looking at genetic
predispositions to alcoholism.]

              Getting (P)Reprints via Anonymous Ftp
     Please  note  that  some of my (p)reprints can be downloaded
via anonymous ftp from ftp.umiacs.umd.edu [128.8.120.23]  in  the
pub/ingber  directory.   If  you  have problems with this, let me
know and I will be glad to prepare a uuencoded copy to  email  to
you.   Sorry,  but I cannot take on the task of mailing out hard-
copies.
     Just follow these procedures on your local machine:
local% ftp ftp.umiacs.umd.edu
[local% ftp 128.8.120.23]
Name (ftp.umiacs.umd.edu:yourloginname): anonymous
Password (ftp.umiacs.umd.edu:anonymous): [type in yourloginname]
ftp> cd pub/ingber
ftp> binary
ftp> get README.file
ftp> get file.ps.Z
ftp> quit
local% uncompress file.ps.Z
local% lpr [-P..] file.ps [to your PostScript laserprinter]
     With a uuencoded copy, first save to  mailfile.   Strip  out
lines  before  "begin"  and  after  "end".   Save to mailfile.uu.
Applying
local% uudecode mailfile.uu
will leave file.ps.Z.  Then, proceed as above.

  *                  Prof. Lester Ingber                  *
  *  Science Transfer Corporation                         *
  *  P.O. Box 857                                         *
  *  McLean, VA 22101                       703-759-2769  *
  *  USA                           ingber at umiacs.umd.edu  *