Sex dimorphism in human corpus callosum

Garrett H. Riggs GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Thu Feb 27 14:38:51 EST 1992

From: Garrett H. Riggs
Dept. of Anatomical Sciences & Neurobiology
Phone: (502) 588-7288

I tried to send this directly to the original poster, but
it didn't make it there, so here goes...Hope this is
relatively interesting to the readership at large!

Garrett

Hi, Clayton.

I saw your posting in which you requested a reference on
sex differences in the corpus callosum of humans.  It just happens
that I wrote a review article on sex differences in the CNS
just a few months ago as part of my Ph.D. qualifying exam in
neurobiology.

I'd be glad to share my modest bibliography with you if you're
interested, but as for the specific reference you seek, I recommend:

Clarke, S., R. Kraftsik, H. Van Der Loos and G. M. Innocenti.
1989.  Forms and measures of adult and developing human corpus
callosum: Is there sexual dimorphism?  Journal of Comparative
Neurology 280:213-230.

There have been numerous articles on this topic, most of which
are cited in the above reference.  Some of those articles date
back to the turn of this century, and a few offer a fascinating but
repulsive look at the state of our society then, dealing as they
do with alleged "evidence" of the neurologic and intellectual
inferiority of blacks and other minorities.

In any case, the paper by Clarke et al. is, I think, sure to become
a landmark.  They took great pains to specify exactly what they were
measuring, and provide plenty of information about the calculations
used to delineate the subjects in question.  It's really definitive.

Hope this helps.  If you wish to summarize responses to the net,
feel free to include anything in this note.

Garrett

Garrett Riggs
BITNET: GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM
INTERNET: GHRIGG01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU

Department of Anatomical Sciences and Neurobiology
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Louisville, Kentucky  40292  USA