Sleep phases

stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Feb 14 11:40:47 EST 1992

--
You need to monitor the EEG using two electrodes glued to the skin of the
scalp (those held in place by rubber bands might get dislocated). The

Oh... you do not by any chance mean REM sleep by "deep" sleep?? This would
not be correct, as the treshold for awakening is lower during REM sleep
than during delta wave sleep. On the other hand, muscle tone is even lower
during REM sleep than during deep sleep, although there are occasional
muscle twitches. The interest in REM sleep naturally comes from the fact
that most dreaming takes place during this state. If you want
to detect REM sleep instead of deep sleep you are not greatly helped by the
EEG, as there is no specific sign of REM sleep there. Using the same type
of electrode on both sides of an eye (or diagonally around an eye) will
monitor eye movements, and provided you are not awake these should indicate
REM sleep. It is a bit tricky to ensure that the detector detects only the
REM type of eye movement. There are commercial devices for this purpose.
(the deep sleep, delta wave detector should be possible to adapt from
commercial alpha or theta feedback devices).

Dag Stenberg                            stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi
Department of Physiology                stenberg at finuh.bitnet
University of Helsinki                  tlx: 1002125 finuh sf
Siltavuorenpenger 20 J                  fax: int.+358-0-1918681
SF-00170 Helsinki, Finland              tel: int.+358-0-1918532