Magnetisation Transfer in MRI

Frank Muennemann frankm at resonex.com
Tue Jul 28 04:19:56 EST 1992

In article <1992Jul23.125813.18199 at bas-a.bcc.ac.uk> achim%nmr.ion.bpmf.ac.uk at mail-a.bcc.ac.uk writes:
>Magnetisation Transfer contrast is a contrast used in MRI. Has anybody experience
>with clinical application in brain and spinal cord imaging with Magnetisation
>Transfer contrast?

MT suppresses signal from neural tissue and from muscle tissue.
We have been able to get excellent contrast and SNR from gradient
recalled echoes by using MT with flip angles of about 50 deg or
more.  Without MT, we would have to keep the flip angles below 20
deg to get good cord-to-CSF contrast on cervical spine exams.
The lower flip angles reduce SNR.

MT is clinically available in Resonex's application software.

Frank Muennemann |  frankm at resonex.com | My opinions are mine, etc.
Resonex, Inc     |  (408)720-8600 x333 | Gaia Lives!!
720 Palomar Ave., Sunnyvale, CA 94086 (USA)