Artifact processing in the EEG

Gene Wallenstein WALLENSTEIN%FAUCCS at ACC.FAU.EDU
Tue Jun 16 23:28:00 EST 1992

Hello;
	Several calls have come through for information regrading
artifact processing.

There are really two issues here 1) artifact detection and 2) artifact
correction. For the latter, I would advise you to look at the following:

	Brunia et al., (1989) Correcting ocular artifacts in the EEG:
A comparison of several methods, Journal of Physiology, 3, 1-50.
This paper was the result of a small "contest" held in Europe to see
who had the best method. The results were similar for both time and frequency
domain methods.

	Most people I know who advocate the "correction" approach
seem to use;

	Gratton et al., (1983) A new method for off-line removal
of ocular artifacts, Electro & Clin. Neuro., 55, 468-484.

	As for our lab. I would say we are more into "detection" then
"correction" for various reasons which I will not get into here.
You also mentioned an interest in signal processing of data and source code.
Let me know what your specific interests are, we have utilized, coded,
and/or modified most conventional tools as well as additional techniques
in the are of nonlinear dynamics (ie, dimension estimates, Lyapunov epts.,
entropy measures, etc.).