Fluorogold

588-0835 GENIZN01 at ULKYVM.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Thu Jun 11 20:30:50 EST 1992

I am interested in using fluorogold as a retrograde tracer in a model
of spinal cord injury. Basically, I am creating an injury and trying
to "quantify" the relative number of descending motor fibers left after
varying degrees of injury. I will be looking for labelled cells in
both the brainstem and cortex following injection of the tracer
below the level of injury. I hope that this will reflect the proportion
of surviving motor fibers across the injury site.

I know that this type of analysis has been done with HRP. This technique
is messy compared to fluorogold. What I need to know is if fluorogold
is likely to work in this situation. Will it reflect viable motor fibers
with the same efficacy as HRP? Are there any good articles to get me
started?

Any help will be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Greg Niznik