Good introductory books

Joseph T. Devlin jdevlin at pollux.usc.edu
Thu Mar 12 19:06:56 EST 1992

Along the same line of good introductions to neurosciences there are
a few texts I might recommend:

- Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessel's (1991) Principles of Neuroscience is an
excellent state-of-the-art (so to speak) book. We use it as a text in
our graduate neurobiology course.

- Kuffler's From Neuron to Brain: a cellular approach to the function of
the nervous system is also quite good.  It is on a lower level that the
Kandel book, however. We use it in our undergrad intro to neurobiology.

- Bertil Hille's (1984) Ionic channels of excitable membranes is a
fantastic book for anyone interested in the biophyics of neurons.  It
begins with a VERY clear exposition of the classic Hodgkin-Huxley work
with the giant squid axon and then discusses ionic channels in some
detail. It is extremely well written.

- Michael Arbib's (1989) The Metaphorical Brain is an interesting
look at the brain from the view of a computer scientist. It is by
no means simple connectionism, however.  Instead it is a sort of
high level look at information processing in the brain and how that
relates to understanding our intelligence and how it might lead us
to creating more intelligent machines.

Just thought I'd suggest these...
						- Joe
email: jdevlin at pollux.usc.edu